Call (201) 798-8000 today for free consultation

Burlington County Name Change Lawyer

Are you considering legally changing your name? We can help you! Our team of lawyers have handled hundreds of name change applications over the years. Call (201) 798-8000 today, use our contact form below, or chat with us live 24/7 for a free consultation. We proudly represent clients throughout New Jersey for name change applications, including Burlington County.

Bhatt Law Group Super Lawyers
Bhatt Law Group AVVO Top Attorney Lawsuits and Disputes
Bhatt Law Group Lead Counsel Rated
Bhatt Law Group Nations Premier NAOPIA
Bhatt Law Group New Jersey State Bar Association
Bhatt Law Group Top One Percent
Bhatt Law Group American Association for Justice Associate
Bhatt Law Group The National Trial Lawyers

* Our attorneys have been recognized by some of the most prestigious legal organizations. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court. The National Trial Lawyers award is conferred on at least 100 lawyers per state. To read the standard by which Thomson Reuters, AVVO, Lead Counsel, National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, American Association for Justice, and the National Trial Lawyers provides accolades, please click here.

Some people might feel compelled and urged to change their names. It could be for various reasons, such as a desire to reinvent themselves or make a fresh start.

If you live in Burlington County and want to change the name of your loved ones or yourself, Bhatt Law Group’s specialist name change lawyers can assist you.

Working with a Burlington County Name Change Lawyer

In order for the court to permit you to change your name, you must first submit a claim with the court. When you collaborate with Bhatt Law Group, our Burlington County name change lawyer will help you complete the following documents:

  • Civil Case Information Statement
  • Verified Complaint about Name Change and related Certification
  • Order Fixed Date of Hearing

Suppose you want to change your name but have been convicted of an offense. In that case, you must provide the prosecutor in the location where you were sentenced with extra copies of your paperwork. This also applies if you are still on trial for wrongdoing.

Our Burlington County name change attorney can also assist you in changing a child’s name. If the other parent denies the claim, we will assist you in demonstrating that the change is in the child’s best interests.

Reasons to Use the Services of a Burlington County Name Change Lawyer

A person’s name can be changed in Burlington County. One option is to complete a form and send it to the County Superior Court. If you do it yourself, the total cost could be as low as $250.

While this appears to be an easily understandable procedure, there are a few other considerations. A court hearing, publication of the judge’s decision, and confirmation from other government bodies are all part of the process.

Take into account that the court may decide that a person is not allowed to change their name in some cases. As a result, consulting with a Burlington County name change attorney before deciding to modify one’s name is advisable.

No law in Burlington County requires you to find a lawyer to assist you with the identity change process. However, as suggested previously, changing a name can be a tricky task.

It may be harder to fulfill the requirements if you don’t have any legal background. It is hard to guarantee that you have successfully completed each step of the process and that there are no improper services or filing errors.

There are several advantages to hiring a Burlington County name change attorney to assist with the formal name change initiative. Our attorneys will work with you to achieve a faster processing time, more sense of security, and, most importantly, a greater success rate.

FAQs Regarding Name Changes in Burlington County

Before you go out and petition a name change, it’s a good idea to understand the complex nature of the process. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about changing your name in Burlington County.

Why would a court refuse to grant my request to change my name?

A judge may deny a request for a name modification due to the complainant’s prior criminal record. A judge may rule that modifying one’s name is not in the general public’s best interests.

It is not unusual for a prosecutor to make the assumption that the name change application was made for malicious purposes. In some cases, the judge may assume that the applicant is attempting to avoid bondholders or is under investigation.

One other noteworthy factor for the occurrence is a problem with paperwork or a procedural issue. This could include failing to publish a written report in a news outlet or making other paperwork mistakes.

Will I have to be present in the court hearing?

Depending on the judge’s decision, you may or may not be required to appear in court. If you have to appear in court, our Burlington County name change lawyer will help you in preparing the paperwork and answer the court’s questions in your favor.

I made the name change request for safety reasons. Is the publication requirement still mandatory?

The short answer is no. If you change your name for safety reasons, you may be able to avoid the publication mandate. Furthermore, the judge will decide whether or not the name change request will be made public. This is especially true for those who have been the casualties of violent crime.

What criteria will a judge consider in a civil suit involving a name modification?

When assessing a request for a name modification, a judge will consider the filer’s line of work, any ongoing prosecutions, and any preceding attempts to change the name.

The applicant should also explain the name modification in a strategic manner. All of the aforementioned factors should be considered to avoid any possible untruthful intent.

I’m Assisting a Minor in Changing Their Name. Is There any Difference During the Process?

Any caretaker with parental rights for a child has the legal right to be notified when a minor’s identity is changed. They must also show that they have agreed to take legal action against the youngster.

According to the theory, a change request must be authorized by both parental figures. There may be a dispute over whether the child’s name should be changed, possibly requiring a court hearing.

As stated previously, the judge will rule what is in the minor’s best interest afterward. As a result, the cause of the change must be substantial and obvious.

What can I do if the judge turns down my name change request?

What to do will be determined by the justification for the refusal. Suppose you were refused due to a paperwork error. In that case, you may easily submit a new application, this time with the error corrected.

If, on the other hand, your request for a name change is denied due to presumptions of fraud or a criminal charge, you have the right to file an appeal. If you didn’t have legal representation during the original lawsuit, you’d need one for the appeal.

Contact Bhatt Law Group right away for a free consultation! You can have the comfort of knowing that your change request will be handled as smoothly as possible if you use our legal assistance.