Call (201) 798-8000 today for free consultation

Cape May County Name Change Lawyer

Are you considering legally changing your name? We can help you! Our team of lawyers have handled hundreds of name change applications over the years. Call (201) 798-8000 today, use our contact form below, or chat with us live 24/7 for a free consultation. We proudly represent clients throughout New Jersey for name change applications, including Cape May County.

Bhatt Law Group Super Lawyers
Bhatt Law Group AVVO Top Attorney Lawsuits and Disputes
Bhatt Law Group Lead Counsel Rated
Bhatt Law Group Nations Premier NAOPIA
Bhatt Law Group New Jersey State Bar Association
Bhatt Law Group Top One Percent
Bhatt Law Group American Association for Justice Associate
Bhatt Law Group The National Trial Lawyers

* Our attorneys have been recognized by some of the most prestigious legal organizations. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court. The National Trial Lawyers award is conferred on at least 100 lawyers per state. To read the standard by which Thomson Reuters, AVVO, Lead Counsel, National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, American Association for Justice, and the National Trial Lawyers provides accolades, please click here.

Some people might have the need and urgency to change their names. The reason could be anything – from protecting their well-being to inventing a new version of them.

If you live in Cape May County and want to know how to change the name of your loved ones or yourself, the lawyers at Bhatt Law Group will be happy to assist you.

Working With a Cape May County Name Change Lawyer

You must first file a claim with the court before the judge can grant you permission to modify the name. When you work with Bhatt Law Group, our Cape May County name change lawyer can assist you in completing the necessary documents:

  • Civil Case Information Statement
  • Verified Complaint about Name Change and related Certification
  • Order Fixed Date of Hearing

If you want to modify your name but have been found guilty of a crime, you must offer additional copies of your documents to the prosecutor in the area where you were convicted. This is also true if you are currently on trial for a crime.
Our Cape May County name change lawyer can also help you change a child’s name. If the other caregiver refuses the petition, we will facilitate you in proving that the transformation is for the child’s welfare.

Reasons to Hire a Cape May County Name Change Lawyer

While there are no regulations in Cape May County that mandate you to hire a lawyer to help you legally change your name, there are times when the name change procedure can be a difficult task.

In addition, if you don’t have any legal experience, meeting the requirements may be more difficult. In this case, it’s often challenging to ensure that you have accomplished every part of the process correctly and there are no incorrect services or reporting errors.

In Cape May County, anyone can decide to change their name. One possible option is to fill out a form and submit it to the County Superior Court. The total cost of doing it yourself is usually around $250.

While it may seem to be a relatively uncomplicated procedure, there are some factors you will need to consider. The process includes a court hearing, media release of the judge’s decision, and informing the decision of other government bodies.

Keep in mind that a person may not be allowed to change their name in certain situations due to the judge’s decision. As a result, it’s considered wise to consult with a Cape May County name change lawyer before deciding to change a person’s name.

Trying to hire a Cape May County name change lawyer to assist with the legal name change process has several advantages. The primary benefit is that our attorneys will work closely with you to achieve a quicker processing time and, most importantly, a higher success rate.

FAQs Regarding Name Changes in Cape May County

Before you decide to file a petition for a name change, it’s an excellent idea to learn more about the process. Below are some of the most commonly asked questions about changing your name in Cape May County.

What is the most common reason for a court to someone’s request to change their name?

A problem with paperwork is a common cause of the occurrence. This is a typical procedural issue. It usually involves failing to publicly release a written statement in the local newspaper or making other documentation errors.

A judge may also refuse an application for a name change if the filer has a prior criminal record. This usually occurs when a judge believes that changing one’s identity is not in the best interest of society.

It’s also not uncommon for a prosecuting attorney to assume that the change request was made with malicious intent. In some instances, the judge may believe that the filer is attempting to avoid a specific responsibility or is under investigation.

Do I have to come to the court hearing?

Depending on the judge’s decision, you may or may not be required to show yourself in court. If you are required to appear in court, our Cape May County name change lawyer will assist you in providing the required documentation and answering the judge’s questions in your favor.

I filed the name change petition for safety reasons. Is the requirement to publicly release this change still in effect?

In a nutshell, the answer is no. You can avoid the publishing requirement if the name change request is for safety reasons. Furthermore, the judge may decide not to make the name change petition public. This is particularly the case with those who have been victims of violent crime.

What could I do if the judge denied my proposal to change my identity?

The reason for the refusal will determine the answer to this question. You have the legal ability to file an appeal if your proposal for a name change is rejected due to suspicions of fraud or a criminal offense. If you did not have legal counsel for the initial lawsuit, you should have one for the appeal.

If, on the other hand, the reason for the refusal is a technical mistake, you can quickly resubmit your proposal, this time with the error fixed.

I’m Assisting a Minor in Changing Their Name. Are There Any Differences with the Process?

Any person who has parental rights over a child has the lawful authority to be given notice when a child’s identity changes. They must also demonstrate that they have consented to legal proceedings against the child.

According to the law, both parental figures must approve a proposed name change. There may be a disagreement about whether the child’s name must be modified, which might involve a court hearing.

At this point, the judge will decide based on what’s best for the minor. As a result, it’s better to make sure that the cause of the change must be significant and evident.