Call (201) 798-8000 today for free consultation

Paterson Name Change Lawyer

Do you or a loved one require a new identity? It’s quite common for people to feel pushed and urged to change their names.

If you live in Paterson and wish to alter your or your child’s name, our name change attorneys at Bhatt Law Group can assist you.

Bhatt Law Group Super Lawyers
Bhatt Law Group AVVO Top Attorney Lawsuits and Disputes
Bhatt Law Group Lead Counsel Rated
Bhatt Law Group Nations Premier NAOPIA
Bhatt Law Group New Jersey State Bar Association
Bhatt Law Group Top One Percent
Bhatt Law Group American Association for Justice Associate
Bhatt Law Group The National Trial Lawyers

* Our attorneys have been recognized by some of the most prestigious legal organizations. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court. The National Trial Lawyers award is conferred on at least 100 lawyers per state. To read the standard by which Thomson Reuters, AVVO, Lead Counsel, National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, American Association for Justice, and the National Trial Lawyers provides accolades, please click here.

Why Name Changes Occur

Some of the most common reasons people wish to legally change their name are family laws and circumstances such as divorce or adoption. Others, on the other hand, may be faced with more complex circumstances that demand an immediate and covert identity change.

Whichever your reason for changing your name, a Paterson Name Change Lawyer can help you through the entire process and ensure that you have a stress-free identity change journey. Our attorneys have the necessary knowledge and will gladly assist you.

Name Change Process in Paterson

You can change your name in Paterson at any time by getting a court order. Nonetheless, the court will make certain that you are not requesting a change in order to commit fraud or dodge criminal accusations.

Most of the time, your request to change your identification will be granted without the slightest hesitation. Still, in your application form, you should explain why you wish to change your name.

You must first file a request for a name change in order for the court to grant you the right to change your identity. You can learn how to do this at the Superior Court’s Law Division.

Remember to provide your current name as well as your reasoning for changing it. More crucially, in your application, you must declare under oath that you are not changing your name for unlawful reasons, such as escaping criminal prosecution or loan collections.

The name change request form must be accompanied by other documents, such as the Civil Case Information Statement and Order for Fixed Date of Hearing. You should also find out what expenses you will have to pay and prepare for them.

The second step is to place name change announcements in local publications for a set length of time. This is done to ensure that there are no formal complaints or vested interests. After this time, you must tell the court clerk that you have completed the published announcements.

Finally, appearing in court will officially validate your request to change your name. Before a judge can grant you the right to modify your name, you must verify that you are not changing your name to avoid obligations or criminal trials.

The procedure, however, does not end with a court appearance. Before you can start using your new identity for any kind of legal activity, you must get your name change order announced in the media and alert public agencies.

Hire A Bhatt Law Group Paterson Name Change Lawyer

Although there are no laws in Paterson that require you to hire an attorney to help you formally change your name, the process can be cumbersome at times.

Furthermore, if you lack legal experience, meeting the standards may be more difficult. In this case, it can be tough to ensure that you’ve done every stage of the method correctly and that there are no inappropriate systems or reporting issues.

Think about the fact that a person may be denied the right to change their identification due to a judge’s judgment in specific circumstances. As a result, anyone thinking about changing their name should really speak with a Paterson Name Change Lawyer first.

A Bhatt Law Group lawyer can help you with the formal name change process. Our attorneys will collaborate with you directly to achieve a speedier processing time and, more importantly, a higher success rate.

Our legal experts can also help you change a child’s identity. If other parties involved object to the name change request, we will try to assist you in convincing the court that the change is in the best interests of the child.

You can reach us by phone or by leaving a message via live chat. Our communication channels are accessible all day, so we can help you choose a Paterson name change lawyer at any time.

Paterson Name Change Lawyer FAQs

What criteria do judges consider when deciding on a name change?

When deciding on a name change petition, judges consider a variety of issues. The reasons for the name change, the applicant’s profession, and any criminal backgrounds or pending allegations are the most common.

Is there a chance that my request to change my identification will be denied?

There is always the chance that the judge will turn down your plea to change your name. For example, if the moniker you want to use is likely to cause misunderstanding or embarrassment, you may be denied.

A name change may also be denied if it offends or misinforms the public. The same is true for document errors, such as not including enough information on your paperwork or failing to publish a name change statement.

How can I clearly show that I notified the appropriate people or government agencies?

Once you have submitted copies of the proper publications to the relevant government entities, you must go to court and file Proof of Mailing. This evidence attests to the fact that you handed your documents to the right authorities on time.

You must also tell the court that the papers have been delivered to the right recipients. You must also swear in the Proof of Mailing that all of your claims are true.

Don’t forget to include the post office’s green receipt cards as proof to the court that the documents you provided were received by the appropriate parties.

What distinguishes the procedure for changing a child’s name from that for changing an adult’s name?

With one major exception, the procedure for altering a child’s name under the age of 18 is substantially identical to that of adults. However, the paperwork must be copied and given to the child’s other biological or adoptive parent.

It should be transmitted by certified mail with a return receipt. This procedure allows the child’s other parent to challenge the name change.