Secaucus Slip and Fall Lawyer
Did you injure yourself after you slipped and fell in Secaucus? If so, you need to take the next step and hire a professional slip and fall Lawyer in Secaucus. Bhatt Law Group has the very best slip and fall lawyers in the city. Contact our office at (201) 798-8000 to schedule an appointment with one of them.
The town of Secaucus is located in Hudson County, New Jersey. A 2010 U.S. Census indicates that the total population of the town is approximately 16,264 people. The population size has slowly been increasing over the last 20 years as well. A lot of people like Secaucus because it is a very suburban town of the New Jersey Meadowlands. There are a lot of great job opportunities in this area within the transportation, manufacturing, and retail industries.
Overview of a Slip and Fall Accident
Nobody wants to slip and fall on the floor of a building or on the ground outside of a building. A slip and fall accident can happen so unexpectedly, which is why it doesn’t give you enough time to prepare for the fall. You’ll be walking on a property and then all of a sudden you’ll end up slipping and falling within an instant. Depending on your health and the surface conditions below you, the injuries you incur may be substantial.
Whenever you slip and fall on someone else’s property and it could have been prevented by the property owner, this constitutes as a slip and fall accident where the owner is liable for damages. Property owners have a lawful obligation to maintain safe conditions on their property, especially if they open it up to the public.
If there is a problem in some area of the property which makes it unsafe, then the property owner must put up warning signs to let people know this. Sometimes barricades or ropes around the dangerous area may be necessary to do this. Whatever it takes to keep people safe, that is what the property owner must do.
Slip and fall accidents are more commonly seen in commercial establishments where hundreds of people would typically gather. Some common examples include:
- Movie theaters
- Apartment buildings
- Shopping malls
- Grocery stores
Wherever you have more people present, the conditions of the environment will increase the chance of a slip and fall accident. Someone might spill a drink on the floor or perhaps the floor has just been washed and waxed by the janitor. Any circumstances like these can definitely cause a slip and fall accident.
Let’s review the main causes of this type of accident:
- Debris scattered on the floor or ground (e.g. clutter, garbage).
- Stairs, carpets, floorboards, and mats that are loose, damaged, or in poor condition.
- Wet floors due to mopping or beverage spills.
- Lack of lighting in locations with more obstacles, such as stairways, recreational areas, and walkways.
When you look at each one of these possible causes of a slip and fall accident, you can see that a property owner could have avoided them if the necessary precautions had been taken. They should have a janitor to clean up garbage off the ground or a handyperson who can fix floorboards and get rid of loose mats. And if a floor has just been mopped, it is customary for a janitor to leave out a “Wet Floor” sign for others to see. These are the types of actions that can help avoid a slip and fall accident.
Property owners have a legal duty to notify their guests of any areas on their property which are slippery or have the potential to cause an accident. Failure to acknowledge the existence of these accident-prone areas will mean that the property owners are more liable for the injuries caused to their guests.
Common Injuries from Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents don’t just cause someone to have a slight bump or bruise on their head. These accidents have the potential to cause so much more damage, especially if the victim is old, disabled, or currently suffering from a health condition. For example, a 65-year-old man with weak bones and stability difficulties is more likely going to slip and fall onto the ground than a young 20-year-old athlete with no health problems.
In a New Jersey civil court of law, the current age and health of the victim are always taken into consideration. The property owner could end up paying more money in compensatory damages to a slip and fall victim if the accident worsened their existing health conditions. Even though property owners may not have intentionally wanted to harm anybody, they’re still liable because of their neglect to keep their property safe.
The most common injuries to come from a slip and fall accident are as follows:
- Sprains: Since slip and fall accidents can happen suddenly, you may twist your knee or ankle the wrong way as you fall. This can leave you with a nasty sprain that takes you off your feet for a couple of weeks.
- Bone Fractures: A slip and fall accident on a hard floor or surface may cause worse than a sprain. You could end up with one or more fractured bones. Then you might be off your feet for months instead of weeks.
- Head Injuries: The unexpected nature of a slip and fall accident doesn’t give you time to prepare for a safe landing. Many people hit their head on the ground after they fall. Any type of head trauma like this could lead to a concussion or brain injury. If you’re lucky, the head injury will only have short-term effects on your cognitive health. But if the head injury is more serious because the surface was hard, then you could have long-term cognitive damage. That would earn you more money in compensatory damages, of course.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: The worst-case scenario of a slip and fall accident is a spinal cord injury. When your vertebrae or spinal discs suffer damage from a fall, it could lead to reduced mobility and an extreme amount of pain. If the damage to your spinal cord is too severe, then you may experience paralysis and no feeling whatsoever.
Contact Bhatt Law Group
Bhatt Law Group is a highly experienced and dedicated law firm in Secaucus. Our slip and fall lawyers have won millions of dollars in damages for slip and fall victims who suffered injuries from their accidents. Let us fight hard to do the same for you. Contact us at (201) 798-8000.