Call (201) 798-8000 today for free consultation

Modifying Child Support

Bhatt Law Group Badges

Child support is a complex issue in family law, and modifying child support is not as simple as making a mere request. When a court issues a child support order, it is meant to ensure that parents provide for a child’s basic needs for food, housing, clothing, healthcare, and education. Therefore, changing a child support arrangement can only take place by filing a motion with the court and providing necessary evidence, especially if the other parent contests it.

If you are involved in a case in which child support arrangements may be modified, contact Bhatt Law Group at (201) 798-8000 . Our team of family law attorneys has extensive experience in child support issues and can help you either request or contest a modification of child support arrangements.

Change in Circumstances Required

In New Jersey a parent may be able to ask a court to modify a child support order if they can prove a change in circumstances. The change can’t be temporary or only likely to happen in the future. The parent asking for modification has to show that the change has already taken place and is permanent, substantial, and unanticipated. The court may also consider whether the change in circumstances was voluntary, motivated by the desire to avoid paying child support obligations, or renders the paying spouse completely unable to pay.

The change in circumstances may include any of the following:

  • The paying spouse experiences an increase or decrease in income (e.g. termination, promotion, change in employment, inheritance, etc.)
  • Either parent experiences a long-term illness or becomes disabled after the court’s original child support order
  • A substantial change in the length of time that a child spends in one parent’s home as opposed to the other parent’s home
  • A substantial change in the child’s needs, such as entry into college or the need for long-term medical treatment

Steps to Request Modification

If you are seeking to modify a child support arrangement, you must file a motion with the court. The motion can either be a request by the paying parent for a decrease in child support or a request from the receiving parent for an increase in payments. The motion must present facts that support the request.

The court will review the request and may schedule a hearing. During the hearing the parties must submit evidence of their respective financial conditions, and anything else relevant to the motion. The judge will then consider what is in the child’s best interest to reach a decision.

An Experienced Jersey City Child Support Lawyer Can Help

The process of modifying child support can be complicated. If you are trying to alter child support arrangements or prevent them from being changed, you need an attorney by your side. Bhatt Law Group can help you every step of the way of the child support modification process. Our experienced Jersey City child support lawyers have decades of combined experience in helping people in New Jersey with child support issues.

Contact us today to speak with one of our skilled attorneys by calling (201) 798-8000 for a free initial consultation.