Call (201) 798-8000 today for free consultation

Termination of Parental Rights

Bhatt Law Group Badges

In the state of New Jersey, parental rights can be terminated either voluntarily or involuntarily. While it is not as common, there are times when parents will voluntarily give up custody of a child. In other situations, the court must terminate parental rights based on evidence that the parent failed in his or her duties. The Bhatt Law Group has Jersey City termination of parental rights lawyers who can help you in such situations.

Five Distinct Grounds for Terminating Parental Rights in New Jersey.

These grounds are stated in NJSA 30:4C-15:

  • If the parent or parents have been convicted of abandonment, neglect, cruelty, or abuse of the child.
  • The best interests of the child require placement under guardianship.
  • The guardian or parent of the child has failed to correct the conditions or circumstances that led to the child being removed from the home after a year despite being financially and physically able to do so even with efforts of the Department of Children and Families assistance.
  • The parent willingly abandoned the child.
  • The parent has been convicted of murder, aggravated manslaughter or manslaughter of the child’s other parent or to have abetted, aided, conspired, solicited, or attempted to commit such crime against the child or another child of the parent or committed or attempted to commit an assault that could have or did result in significant bodily injury to the child or the child’s other parent, or the parent committed an act that was serious enough to have or did cause serious bodily injury or death of the child’s other parent or another child of the parent.

If you are facing a situation where your parental rights are being involuntarily terminated or if you are wanting to voluntarily terminate your parental rights so a child can be adopted, you need the guidance of a New Jersey termination of parental rights lawyer.

Using A New Jersey Termination of Parental Rights Lawyer for Adoption Proceedings

If you are adopting a child and need to have the biological parent terminate his or her parental rights, you need an attorney to help you through the process to ensure it is done legally and properly. Call the Bhatt Law Group Today to learn how we can help you with this very precise and detailed process. Our family law attorneys understand how the process works and have helped clients facing similar situations in the past. Call us at (201) 798-8000 for a free consultation today!