Jersey City Possession of CDS Attorney
Are you facing a CDS possession charge in Jersey City? If so, then you need to hire a CDS attorney from Bhatt Law Group. We specialize in all criminal cases related to drug possession.
Drug charges should always be taken seriously. New Jersey has strict laws against drug use, drug possession, and drug distribution. The legal terminology for drugs is “controlled dangerous substances.” These are the types of drugs which are illegal, addictive, and harmful to people.
If you are ever arrested for possession of CDS, then you are in very serious trouble already. The type of drug and the amount of the drug found on you will both determine the severity of your punishment if convicted. You may also be charged with drug use and drug possession, depending on the circumstances of the incident.
Don’t try to defend yourself against a CDS possession charge in Jersey City. If you are convicted on this charge, you could face a long prison sentence and substantial fines and penalty charges. That is why you need a CDS attorney from Bhatt Law Group to represent you in this matter.
We are criminal defense attorneys who specialize in all drug-related cases, including possession cases. Once we review the police report and other details surrounding your case, we’ll put together the best defense possible for you. All new potential clients can receive a free consultation by scheduling an appointment. Call us at (201) 798-8000 to get started and let us fight for your rights and your freedom.
Consequences of CDS Possession in Jersey City
The potential punishment of a CDS possession charge is quite severe. Even if you only possess marijuana, that is still considered a serious crime. New Jersey has not legalized recreational marijuana yet, which is why it continues to be considered a controlled dangerous substance.
Here are the possible punishments you could face for possessing marijuana in Jersey City:
– If you possess under 50g of marijuana, you will be charged with a disorderly person’s offense. You could be incarcerated up to 6 months on this charge. You will also receive a 6-month suspension against your driver’s license and a fine of no more than $1,000.
– If you possess any drug paraphernalia, such as a bong or water pipe, then you could also receive 6 months in jail and/or a fine of no more than $1,000. If you’re caught with marijuana and drug paraphernalia, the incarceration sentences may run concurrently if it’s your first offense.
– If you possess over 50g of marijuana or another type of CDS, then you’ll be charged with an indictable offense. This is an offense which could involve a criminal trial if you plead not guilty. The length of your incarceration could be 5 years if you receive the maximum punishment permitted under the law. You’ll also have to pay up to $35,000 in fines.
If you commit repeated CDS possession offenses, then your punishment could be substantially worse with each subsequent offense. Bhatt Law Group will do whatever we can to reduce your sentence and help you avoid incarceration, especially if it is your first offense.
Potential Defenses Against the CDS Charges
Our CDS attorneys won’t automatically recommend that you plead guilty. In fact, we’ll review the evidence of the case and determine if any possible defense could be raised on your behalf. You may have been caught with CDS, but the circumstances surrounding the arrest could lead to a viable defense.
Let’s look at some common defenses for CDS possession:
– There was no probable cause for the police to stop and search your vehicle or property. For example, if you are driving in your car and obey all the traffic laws, then police have no probable cause to stop you. But if they were to stop you because of the way you look, such as racial profiling, then you could raise a “no probable cause” defense in court.
– Did police officers search your home without a warrant? The police are legally required to comply with all the search warrant requirements if they search your home. If they do not comply with those requirements, then whatever they find in your home may not be admissible in a court of law.
– If the drugs were tested in a police laboratory, then the tests may not have been properly administered. We’ll review the procedures and processes of all laboratory drug tests performed by the police. If anything is found to be improper about those tests, we can use that as a defense in court.
Other possible defenses may exist too. Perhaps the drugs belong to someone else who was in your car or home. If that can be proven, then you could walk away from the CDS possession charge altogether.
However, in most cases, a CDS possession charge is beaten if the police do not follow proper protocol when they apprehend you and search your property. Since you are not experienced with such legal technicalities, you need to hire a highly trained CDS attorney who knows all about them. We’ll search for any possible defense we can use to either get your charges thrown out or get you a lower sentence.
Contact a Jersey City CDS Attorney Today
CDS possession convictions have ruined the lives of so many people. So many people are charged with simple marijuana possession in New Jersey. They usually walk away from it with a criminal conviction, jail time, and a tarnished permanent record that makes it difficult for them to get a job.
Don’t risk having the same fate as them. Call Bhatt Law Group at (201) 798-8000 and give yourself the strongest defense possible against our CDS possession charges. The first thing we’ll do is review the police reports and focus on all the events that led up to the initial arrest.
Our goal is to prevent you from getting convicted if possible. If not, then we’ll create a defense for why you should have a reduced sentence. Give us a try and see how well we can defend you during this very serious time in your life.