Hiring a Criminal Defense Attorney
If you have been charged with a crime in the Jersey City area, you need to hire a Jersey City criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Since the attorney you choose will handle your criminal case, which will have a significant impact on the rest of your life, you should take the time to find the right one for you. In order to find an attorney that can assist you in achieving the most favorable outcome for your specific case and circumstances, look for an attorney with exceptional knowledge and who can give you the attention you deserve.
Bhatt Law Group has experience working with people who are navigating the criminal justice system. We can help whether you’re dealing with a traffic offense or a violent crime. Call us today at (201) 798-8000 to find out how we can help you.
Why It’s Vital to Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you have been charged with a crime, you have the right to hire a criminal defense lawyer to represent you. Although you may be reluctant to spend money on a legal advocate, understand that a criminal defense attorney may help you avoid a permanent criminal record as well hefty fines, jail time, a damaged reputation, and a difficult future.
An experienced criminal defense lawyer has a thorough understanding of your rights outlined in the United States Constitution and can help ensure you are not being taken advantage of during a criminal investigation and trial. With a criminal defense lawyer by your side, you’ll be able to understand the possible punishments for your crime as well as possible defenses that may reduce those penalties.
When you make the decision to hire a criminal defense lawyer, you can expect them to argue your case in court and negotiate with the prosecutor on your behalf. Their professional support will significantly increase your chances of getting your charges reduced or case dismissed.
Questions to Ask When Hiring a Defense Attorney
Fortunately, most criminal defense attorneys offer a free initial consultation to prospective clients. By taking advantage a free consultation, you can take the time to find out how an attorney’s knowledge and experience will be most beneficial to your case. The questions listed below will help you select an attorney that is the most fitting for your particular situation.
- How long have you practiced criminal law? Since criminal law is constantly evolving, you need an attorney who has a great deal of experience handling criminal cases and stays up-to-date on the law and criminal defense strategies.
- How much of your practice is criminal law? Some attorneys refer to themselves as criminal defense attorneys yet only handle a few criminal cases each year. You should look for someone who devotes all or the majority of their practice to criminal defense.
- How many juries have you handled? In some criminal cases, a trial is necessary. If this is the reality for your case, you’ll want to ensure the attorney you hire is experienced with jury trials.
- How will you handle my case? It’s crucial for you to gain an understanding of how the attorney plans to conquer your case. Find out how they will investigate your case and what possible outcomes you can expect.
- Are you a local attorney? Local attorneys are most familiar with local judges, prosecutors, and police. They are more likely to negotiate a favorable plea agreement or manage a local trial well.
- Are you the attorney who will be managing my case? At some law firms, especially larger ones, senior attorneys will provide the consultation and pass your case on to a junior, less-experienced attorney.
- How much will your services cost? You should choose an attorney that is upfront about their pricing structure and how much you will owe. Be sure to hire an attorney who is the most qualified to handle your case rather than the one that is the least expensive.
Searching for a Jersey City Criminal Defense Attorney? Call Bhatt Law Group
Taking the time to make sure you have found an attorney that you feel comfortable with and can provide you with the quality legal representation you deserve for your criminal case can make or break your future. If you are searching for a Jersey City criminal defense attorney, you owe it to yourself to schedule a free consultation with Bhatt Law Group.
We have been defending residents from Jersey City and the surrounding areas for more than a decade. Whether you’ve been charged with assault, harassment, burglary, DUI, a property crime, theft, or any other type of crime, Bhatt Law Group is an invaluable resource.
Our firm is pleased to have a former prosecutor on our team and will work tirelessly to find flaws in the evidence and design a solid defense strategy that may reduce the severity of your charges or get your case dismissed altogether.
Call us today at (201) 798-8000 for your free, confidential consultation.