Call (201) 798-8000 today for free consultation

Name Change Applications

Bhatt Law Group Badges

It’s common for people to have the desire to change their names. If you are a New Jersey resident and interested in changing your name or your child’s name, a Jersey City family lawyer from Bhatt Law Group who is experienced in name change applications can guide you through the process. Call us today at (201) 798-8000 to find out how we can help you.

Why Name Changes Occur

There are a variety of reasons why someone may choose to change their name. The most obvious reasons for a name change are a marriage or divorce. However, you may also want to change your name if you are simply unhappy with the one you currently have or your name is ethnic and difficult to pronounce or spell. Lastly, you may wish to change your child’s name if the other parent is not in the picture or they are adopted.

Name Change Process in New Jersey

In New Jersey, you have the right to apply for a court order to change your name at any time. The court will make sure that you are not applying for a name change in order to commit fraud or avoid the penalties of a crime. Although your name change request will probably be granted without any question, you should explain why you’d like a name change in your application.

In order for the court to grant you permission to change your name, you will be required to file a complaint for name change in the Law Division of the Superior Court. You’ll need to fill out a series of forms, pay a $250 filing fee, and give your paperwork and payment to the court clerk. New Jersey requires the following documents for a name change:

  • Civil Case Information Statement – This statement provides the court with a summary of your case.
  • Verified Complaint for Name Change and Certification – In this document, you will state your current name as well as the name to which you wish to change. You’ll also explain why you’d like to change your name and whether you’ve ever been convicted of a crime or have any pending criminal charges.
  • Order Fixed Date of Hearing – You’ll leave a portion of this document blank and get it back when a judge has reviewed it and provided you with directions to return to the court so that your case can be heard. You can expect your case to be heard in 30 days or more from the date that the order was signed by the judge.

If you’d like to change your name but have been convicted of a crime or have charges pending against you, you’ll need to send copies of the Verified Complaint about Name Change and Certification and Order Fixed Date of Hearing to the prosecutor of the county where the conviction occurred.

To change a child’s name, you must gain permission from the child’s other parent. If the other parent has no objections, the court will go through with the name change. If there is an objection from the other parent, you’ll be forced to provide evidence that proves that the name change is in the best interests of your child.

Contact a Name Change Lawyer from Bhatt Law Group

The name change attorneys at Bhatt Law Group can help you accurately complete your paperwork so that you or your child enjoy a new name. If you’ve been convicted of a crime, have criminal charges pending against you, or there is an objection to your child’s name change, we can help as well.

By seeking legal support for name change applications, you can enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that your name change request will go as smooth as possible. Call us today at (201) 798-8000 for a free consultation.