Jersey City Paternity Claims Lawyer
Are you searching for a lawyer for a paternity claims case? We can help you! Our team of family lawyers have handled hundreds of paternity claims cases over the years. Call (201) 798-8000 today, use our contact form below, or chat with us live 24/7 for a free consultation. We proudly represent clients throughout New Jersey.
* Our attorneys have been recognized by some of the most prestigious legal organizations. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court. The National Trial Lawyers award is conferred on at least 100 lawyers per state. To read the standard by which Thomson Reuters, AVVO, Lead Counsel, National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, American Association for Justice, and the National Trial Lawyers provides accolades, please click here.
If you are a mother seeking child support for her child or a father who is being asked to pay child support, you need help confirming paternity. Bhatt Law Group has a team of dedicated Jersey City paternity claims lawyers who understand the laws and how the verification process works. Paternity is used to determine whether an individual is the natural father of a child. After paternity has been confirmed, a father has certain rights and responsibilities. Paternity cases often involve child support, visitation, and custody matters.
A Jersey City Paternity Claims Lawyer Helping Families
The Bhatt Law Group has a team of family law attorneys who can provide representation and advice for those needing to resolve a paternity matter. We have a team of New Jersey paternity claims lawyers who can handle various paternity-related matters, including:
- Paternity establishment by either blood testing or signing a birth certificate
- Paternity disputes or complaints in a court of law
- Child support
- Custody and visitation matters for fathers
- Enforcement of or modification of court orders pertaining to child support, visitation, or custody matters
As a parent, you want what is best for your child so you can depend on the Jersey City paternity claims attorneys at Bhatt Law Group to help you ensure your case is handled professionally and that everything is followed through within a timely fashion.
When is A Man Considered a Father Based on New Jersey Law?
In New Jersey, a man is considered a father when either the court enters a judgment of paternity or judgment of adoption, which declares the man to be the father of the child; or, if the parents are not married, legal paternity is proven by both parents signing a Certificate of Parentage (COP) which is a statement by both parties indicating they believe him to be the child’s father and the filing the COP with the State Registrar. If paternity has not been established, a legal presumption where the court assumes specific things to be true unless evidence is admitted to prove otherwise comes into play. Legal presumptions of paternity come into play:
- If the parents were married within 300 days of the child’s birth, the husband of the mother at the time of birth is presumed to be the child’s father. This law also presumes the husband as the father if he died or divorced the mother within 300 days before the baby’s birth.
- Couples who marry after the child’s birth only if the husband tells others that the child is his biological child, he agrees to or is ordered to pay child support, he has his name listed as the father on the child’s birth certificate, or he acknowledges paternity in writing to the state registrar.
- If the parents are unmarried but the man tells people he is the child’s father and he provides child support before the child’s 18th birthday.
- A husband who isn’t the biological father will be deemed the father if the biological father and mother sign the COP then the husband and mother sign a Denial of Parentage and file both forms with the State Registrar.
- A married couple is considered a child’s legal parents if they are married, the husband agrees to artificial insemination, and the insemination is performed by a licensed physician.
Contact a Jersey City Paternity Claims Lawyer Today
If you are needing help with a paternity claims matter in New Jersey, call the Bhatt Law Group at (201) 798-8000 for a free consultation. We will gladly answer any questions you have and make suggestions as to how you could proceed with your paternity issue.