After an accident, the pain and uncertainty can be overwhelming. Speaking with a skilled personal injury lawyer may be the first step towards a solution. If you’ve been seriously injured in Jersey City or the surrounding areas, let Bhatt Law Group put our decades of collective legal experience to work for you.
Accidents happen at the most unexpected moments and can change your life completely. An unexpected incident may result in serious injuries and significant recovery time. You don’t have to face the situation alone. Our Jersey City personal injury lawyers can help you. Call Bhatt Law Group today at (201) 798-8000 for a free consultation.
Common Causes of Personal Injuries in New Jersey
Anyone can be injured, and the results of those injuries can be devastating. Every situation is unique. Even if your accident seemed minor, your injuries can be life-changing.
Contact us today if you’ve been injured in any of the following:
- Car Accidents – Even the best drivers can experience the profound effects of a car crash caused by someone else’s recklessness or negligence. Injuries can be significant and it can take a lifetime to recover. Let the car accident lawyers at Bhatt Law Group help you obtain the compensation you need.
- Truck Accidents – Due to their size and weight, when commercial vehicles are involved in accidents the aftermath can be tragic with severe or even fatal injuries. Let Bhatt Law Group fight on your behalf to hold the responsible parties accountable.
- Auto Accidents – When pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcycle enthusiasts are involved in collisions they are extremely vulnerable to serious injuries. Boats, buses, and aircraft accidents can also result in devastation. At Bhatt Law Group, our auto accident attorneys can explain your options and will help you fight for the necessary compensation.
- Premises Liability – When you enter a store or someone else’s property, you have a reasonable expectation to be safe from harm. Whether it is a slip and fall accident or a dog bite, if a property owner or manager’s negligence resulted in you suffering an injury, our skilled premises liability attorneys at Bhatt Law Group can help you recover any potential losses.
- Workplace Injuries – When you are injured on the job, a workers’ compensation claim may not be sufficient to cover your medical bills and lost income. If your work-related accident was caused by negligence, our work injury lawyers at Bhatt Law Group can explain available legal options for getting your bills paid and recovering compensation.
Compensation in a Personal Injury Claim
Our team of dedicated and compassionate personal injury attorneys knows that every accident is different. If you are hurt, worrying about your physical and financial well-being is normal. An experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney can explain the process of filing a claim and advocate on your behalf with insurance companies or in a courtroom, if necessary.
We will fight to make sure you get every dollar you deserve so you can focus on recovery.
You may be able to obtain compensation for your past and future:
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Loss of income
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages
Important Issues in New Jersey Personal Injury Cases
The thought of making a personal injury claim can be stressful. The process is long and complex and often involves other parties who are familiar with the civil court system. You may have numerous questions regarding how to proceed. Bhatt Law Group can answer your questions, including:
- What is My Injury Claim Worth? – Every case is different. Bhatt Law Group will evaluate your case and help you understand what you may be able to recover to compensate your losses after injury.
- Wrongful Death Claims – Unfortunately, some incidents result in devastating injuries and even death. If your loved one was fatally injured due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, call us today. We will deal with the legal issues while you focus on mourning your loss.
- What qualifies as a personal injury? – A personal injury is defined as harm to your body or mind due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. An injury might include brain and spinal cord damage, broken limbs, wrongful death, workplace injuries, product liabilities, and defective prescriptions. Personal injuries most commonly occur from car, truck, motorcycle, and bike accidents, but can include any event that results in your personal injury.
- When should I contact a personal injury lawyer? – As soon as you can to determine if you have a case and what it could be worth. The statute of limitations (the time period for legal action) depends on the case and may begin immediately after the injury has occurred. Talking with an experienced lawyer ensures that you aren’t missing any compensation for your injury. A lawyer also makes the process easier and less stressful, especially as you’re confronted with adjusters and lawyers from the person’s whose negligence or wrongdoing caused your injury.
- What are contingent fee cases? – A contingent fee case means that, even if you don’t have the money to pay an attorney, you only have to pay the law firm if you settle or win the case. If you do settle or win, a percentage of the settlement will be given to the lawyer (i.e. payment is contingent on the success of the case). This means that you aren’t required to pay out of pocket. Most personal injury cases are contingent fee.
- How long does a personal injury case take? – The time period varies as each case is different. If you have multiple or substantial injuries and are due significant compensation, the lawsuit will take longer. However, most settlements are reached within one to two years.
- Will my case go to trial? – More than likely not. The majority of cases end in a settlement before a divorce case every goes to trial. Disputable facts or contestable legal issues could lead to your case going to court, but if your lawyer helps you build a strong case, you shouldn’t have to visit the courtroom.
- What should I do after my personal injury accident? – Seek medical attention as quickly as possible at the nearest hospital or doctor’s office. Take photos of your injuries. Also write down details about the accident (e.g. when it happened and where), as well as witnesses of the event and their contact information. File a claim as soon as you can while the event is still fresh on your mind. Also involve an attorney to help you receive maximum compensation for your injury.
- How much is my personal injury case worth? – The value depends on your specific case, but settlements and court awards can range anywhere from $3,000 to $75,000. While you can’t determine the exact amount that your case is worth, you can follow specific steps to get an estimate. Start by calculating the monetary losses you’ve experienced from your injuries (e.g. medical bills, lost earnings from work, future expenses). Also tally up the value of general damages such as pain and suffering, disabilities, and loss of enjoyment in life. Bring this information to your lawyer so they can conduct a thorough investigation and give you a range of values for your personal injury case. Contact us at Bhatt Law Group so we can evaluate what your case may be worth.
- How long do I have to file my claim? – This depends on the statute of limitations in your state. Most states require that you file a claim within two years of your personal injury (usually beginning on the day that your personal injury occurred).
- How much does a personal injury lawyer cost? – You typically don’t have to pay money up front for a personal injury lawyer. Instead, the lawyer will receive a percentage of your final compensation amount. This percentage also includes costs that the lawyer’s office pays on your behalf such as conducting settlement negotiations.
- What happens during a personal injury lawsuit? – A personal injury lawsuit begins when a victim files a complaint against the defense. Both victim and defendant then build their cases against each other, pulling in evidence from the accident or event. If they are unable to reach a settlement through negotiations or mediations, the lawsuit goes to court in front of a jury.
- Does personal injury compensation include medical bills? – Yes, you will receive compensation for payment of future medical bills or you will be reimbursed for medical bills already paid. You will be compensated for any medical treatment associated with your personal injury.
- Why Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer? – Personal injury claims involve significant time and resources. The process can be complicated and the other side often has a team of lawyers to fight back. Let Bhatt Law Group represent your rights throughout the personal injury claim process.
- Personal Injury Lawsuit Process – Time is of the essence. If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you may file a personal injury lawsuit within two years. It can take significant time to investigate and gather information about your claim. Let us help you today.
- What if I’ve already started the claims process myself? – Although many people might begin the initial claims process themselves, they often become overwhelmed and stressed, especially if they’re struggling to cover medical treatment for their injuries. If you become a client at Bhatt Law Group, we’ll take the work that you’ve begun and also serve as the primary contact with insurance carriers. Our aim is to reduce your stress and give you the necessary support to recover from your personal injury.
- Is my case big enough for a personal injury lawyer? – At Bhatt Law Group, we handle a variety of different sized cases. We offer a free consultation if you would like to schedule an appointment. We can then review your potential claim and provide the support that you need.
- What should I bring to the first meeting with my personal injury lawyer? – Bring all materials related to your personal injury — from photographs of your injuries to copies of medical records or a police report related to the incident. Copies will be made of these documents at our office for our records to help build your case.
- Do I have to pay for the initial meeting with Bhatt Law Group? – No, the initial consultation with us about your potential claim is absolutely free. You can contact us at (201) 798-8000 for a free consultation.
- Will the person who injured me be held accountable? – The person responsible for your injury typically won’t receive jail time or criminal fines as personal injury cases count as civil actions and not criminal sentences. However, the responsible party likely will be held liable for the cost of your injuries, paid out by their insurance company, if their negligence or misconduct can be proven.
- What if my insurance company says I don’t need a lawyer? – There are some circumstances where a lawyer won’t be necessary. However, if you have been in a serious accident, legal representation helps ensure that you receive fair compensation. While your insurance company might advise against a lawyer, remember that they want to spend as little money as possible on insurance claims. Talk with a lawyer through our free consultation to ensure that you’re not leaving any money on the table.
- Does your firm cover the costs of the case? – A contingency fee agreement means that we’ll cover the costs of the case until a settlement is reached. We’ll then receive a percentage of the settlement to cover our services and any case-related expenses. During your initial appointment, we’ll discuss attorney fees and case costs so you know how much money will come out of your settlement upfront.
- Will the information I share with the lawyer remain private? – Yes, communications between lawyer and client remain strictly confidential. Any oral or written statements given by you to your lawyer cannot be shared with anyone (including family members) without your consent.
- What if no one was responsible for my injury? – While sometimes no one will be at fault for a personal injury, this often isn’t the case. Even for a “slip and fall” injury, proper safety protocols might not have been adhered to by a business manager. Discuss the details of your case with a lawyer to determine if someone was at fault and if they can be legally charged.
- What if the person who caused my injury claims that it was my fault? – Legal liability states that the person who was more careless in an accident should pay for the damages inflicted on the careful party. But sometimes, the person at fault will try to claim that they’re not responsible. In this situation, it’s helpful to have a lawyer on your side who can create an action plan and review all evidence to prove who is to blame for your injuries.
- What if the injury was partly my fault? – Sometimes more than one party will be responsible for a personal injury. But contrary to what you may believe, you may be entitled to financial compensation even if you were partially responsible for the accident. If one party was more negligent in comparison to the other (also known as comparative negligence), partial compensation might be awarded to the injured party.
- How can a Bhatt Law Group lawyer help me? – We have handled thousands of personal injury claims at Bhatt Law Group. If you decide to proceed with us after your free consultation, we’ll provide the necessary support and legal advice to get you the compensation that you deserve for your injuries.
A Jersey City Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
At Bhatt Law Group we are committed to providing people throughout New Jersey with personalized legal counsel and highly effective advocacy. If you were injured because of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, under New Jersey law you have options and may be entitled to compensation to help ease your burden.