Jersey City Premises Liability Lawyer
When you’re visiting property owned by someone else, you expect that you’re in a reasonably safe environment. However, that is not always the case. You may suffer a fall while walking down unstable stairs or slip on ice in your employer’s parking lot. In such a situation, someone else is responsible for your injuries.
Our experienced Jersey City premises liability lawyers understand how devastating an unexpected accident can be. You may have significant medical bills and be unable to work while you recover. We can help you obtain the compensation you need in order to move forward with life after an injury.
You may be able to recover the following compensation for your past and future losses:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
Bhatt Law Group has helped people throughout New Jersey who were injured while visiting someone else’s property. We understand the complexities of premises liability law and will help you navigate the legal system while you focus on recovery.
What is Premises Liability?
Premises liability is an area of personal injury law that involves losses suffered because of an incident that occurs on someone’s property. In New Jersey, a person responsible for property has a duty to visitors to maintain it in a reasonably safe manner.
Many different people may be responsible for injuries sustained on a property, including:
- Property owner
- Proprietor of premises
- Business owner
- Maintenance company
- Construction company
- Security company
- Public school, post office, or other government entity
- Property lessee
In order to hold any of these people responsible for your injuries, you must be able to prove the following:
- The person responsible had a reasonable expectation that you would be on the property
- The person responsible had a duty to maintain the property reasonably
- The person responsible breached that duty and did not reasonably maintain the property, causing unsafe conditions
- The person responsible knew or should have known about those unsafe conditions
- The unsafe conditions resulted in your injuries
Invitees and Licensees vs. Trespassers
A key element to proving that someone else is responsible for your injuries involves showing that you had a legal right to be on the property in the first place. In general, people who are invited to a residence, visiting a business that serves the public, or engaging in activities on public property, are all invitees or licensees to that land. They are expected to be on that property. However, trespassers do not fall into that category.
A trespasser may be responsible for their own injuries, even if they were caused by unsafe conditions on property. One exception involves minors. Landowners who can or should reasonably foresee that a child trespasser could be on their property do have a duty not to wantonly inflict injury on those who do not intend to commit a crime. Thus, if an innocent child walks across a field to reach a school on the other side, the property owner may be responsible for injuries caused by known hazards on that land.
Common Types of Premises Liability Cases
There are many different types of premises liability cases. Any situation where a person is on someone else’s property and is injured by a known unsafe condition may result in liability of the person responsible for that property. Common types of cases that we handle frequently include:
- Slip and Fall Accidents – If you slip, trip, or fall because of a dangerous or unsafe conditions on someone’s property, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our Jersey City premises liability attorneys will compassionately listen to what happened and help you file a claim.
- Dog Bites – Dog owners are responsible for their pets’ behavior. If you are attacked or bitten by a dog, you may have serious injuries. Call Bhatt Law Group today to find out how we can help you.
Contact a Jersey City Premises Liability Lawyer Today
Bhatt Law Group has more than a decade of experience representing people who were injured due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness. If you were visiting someone else’s property and were injured due to unsafe conditions that they knew or should have known about, they may be liable for your injuries. We will evaluate your case and help you decide how to proceed with a claim.
Contact a Jersey City personal injury attorney from Bhatt Law Group today at (201) 798-8000 for a free consultation. You can speak directly with an experienced premises liability lawyer and begin to move forward with life after a devastating accident.